Popular Posts

Monday, April 30, 2012

I forever thank you....




I thought I had nothing to do with it, and I thought there had been a mistake when the breeder chose Schatzchen as a match for me.  At the time, I was under the false impression that he was not the dog I would have singled out to be mine.  But of course, it turned out that he was perfect for me.  And he has been since the day we came together 14 ½ years ago.   Schatzchen had this ease about him….like he knew that life was supposed to be good for him, and it was.  He knew that he didn’t have to earn or prove his way; that being was enough.  He basked in the sunshine, he reveled in a bee landing on a flower, he spent days chasing the chipmunks and the squirrels up a tree.  He ran after the ball with fervor.  He stuck his head out the window of the car at every opportunity.  Joy was evident in everything and anything.  He was eager about life…happy to be home, happy to ride in the car, happy to sit on the porch, happy to play ball, happy to lick the bottom of a caramel macchiato cup, happy to go to bed at night, happy to be awake and going outside for his morning pee…He taught me about how good life is; he taught me about happiness; he taught me to love with no ulterior motives; he taught me that well-being flows and I am deserving; he taught me that I was perfect as I am and that there was nothing to prove or earn; he taught me to relax, to bask, to take it all in, to let it all in.  He taught me about being present and being absorbed in the moment for all its worth.  He taught me that life is about feeling good and that there’s really nothing more complicated to it than that.  We often had talks together, he and I, and he, in his wise and regal way would show me the way.  He would make light of my worries and soothe my tears, all the while saying, “come this way, come this way”… He gifted me with many hours and days of pleasure and joy as I would partake in his adventures.  In every moment there was adventure to be had, something to be explored and discovered and joy to be felt…in every moment.  Life with Schatzchen was meaningful, rich and rewarding and I am a better human as a result.  He taught me this not because he wanted to show me the err of my ways, but simply by the clarity of who he was.  He led the way, and I followed…and so I ask… who was the master???  All of this I know, because of a dog named Schatzchen.  I forever thank you....

No comments: