Popular Posts

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Horrendous or Fun?

It’s a beautiful morning.  The sun isn’t up yet, but I’m seeing in my mind’s eye what the landscape looks like because I’ve driven this road often lately.  I know that the leaves are brilliant hues of orange and rust and red.  I know that the view in the “gap” as it’s referred to, is breathtaking, even though I’m not seeing it right now.  I feel alive and in-tune.  I’m listening to something uplifting as I drive with my thoughts.  I’m loving how the drivers on the road are responsive and moving out of my path in perfect time.  I’m really enjoying the thrill of driving a little faster this morning.  Tucker, our dog, is resting peacefully in the back seat. 

 In front of me, Jack and Franki are on their way as well.  We’re all going to Franki’s school for a Halloween parade.  Behind me, someone is following us to the school.  We have a little motorcade going to see 12 pre-schoolers dressed up in their costumes, individually expressing their little personalities.  I’m eager, I’m excited, I’m content, I’m enjoying myself very much.

Upon our arrival at Franki’s school, my perspective is intact.  This was fun!   As we all got out of our respective vehicles, the person who’d been following us expressed to Jack, “that drive was horrendous!”

Same drive.  Same flow of traffic.  Same road.  Same scenery.  Same houses.  ….very different perceived realities.

We can’t all see the world through the same eyes or from the same perspective. 

The habit of thought that you practice most frequently will interpret the world that you see and how you feel about it. 

How you feel is always reflected in the way that you see.

Perspective is everything.  And what you practice thinking about in the way that you think about it, skews your perspective and establishes expectations and beliefs within you.  You’ll interpret your experience through that habit of thought, and the reality that you experience through that perspective will be how it seems to you.  The same world, the same view, is experienced differently, depending on the perspective that you hold.  In fact, you and someone else won’t see exactly the same thing or have the same experience because your perspective will draw you toward seeing and experiencing those things that match your perspective. 

We’re all living in different realities.  There are as many realities as there are people in this world.  We’re not supposed to have the same realities. But isn’t it nice that you get to perceive, and therefore experience your reality just the way you want to?  Isn’t it nice that someone else’s reality of horrendous doesn’t have to be mine or yours?

So many times people get caught up in trying to convince others that their reality is the right one or the better one.  What if, you just let people interpret their reality in the way that they do, while you go ahead and choose your preferred reality, no matter what someone else’s is? 

Which is it?  Horrendous, or fun and thrilling? 

You’re the perceiver and the interpreter of it all; you get to choose and although you can’t perceive much differently from your practiced habit of thought, you can begin establishing your new habit of thought by leaning it toward your desired reality. 

No comments: