Popular Posts

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Adventure or Problem?

What is the definition of adventure, anyway?  It is an unusual and exciting experience; a daring enterprise; a hazardous activity; an enterprise (spirit of adventure); a commercial speculation; something you dare to undertake; something you seek for personal gain or satisfaction or enjoyment.   If I were to define adventure, I would describe it as something that I don’t always know the outcome of, but I expect there will be much to see and be interested in and stimulated by, and it will be fun and exciting and possibly different and there may be others involved and I may know where it is I’m going or not, and I may know how it will unfold or not.  It is life-giving.  It’s exciting.  It’s inviting.  It might be daring.  It may be something I’ve done before, or never before.  It’s an experience in discovery…about self, about others, about a new experience, because no two experiences are ever the same exactly.  It would be something of interest to me; something that I wanted to explore, see or do, knowing that the experience would bring me enjoyment, or satisfaction, or stimulation outside of my regular environment.  Maybe there’s uncertainty in it, but the uncertainty is not cause for discord or worry or fear.  The uncertainty can be part of the fun, and part of the feeling of adventure.  The uncertainty can bring about curiosity and interest and eagerness and anticipation of wanted outcomes and imagined outcomes.  The uncertainty can feel intriguing and titillating and I can feel called toward it.  So, what about re-defining a “problem” or an unwanted “condition” as an adventure?  Can’t problems be described in somewhat the same way as I just defined my version of adventure?  They can be somewhat uncertain but uncertain doesn’t mean it has to equal discomfort; I may or may not know the outcome, and it may or may not be something I’ve experienced before and it can bring about new perspective about self and others.  It can be satisfying on so many different levels and it certainly can be stimulating because it’s making me think outside the box.  The only thing keeping me from seeing a problem as an adventure is my perception about it; my pre-conceived idea of what a “problem” is.  But a “problem” truly can be seen as an adventure that I can embark upon, even if I don’t know exactly how it will all play out, even if I don’t have the answers or solutions right now; but one in which I can approach with eagerness and enthusiasm and optimism about the outcome, and about what I’ll learn and discover along the way.  I can apply that same sense of feeling of adventure and laisser-faire to things previously perceived as predicaments or trouble.  And I can replace all fear or foreboding, with a sense of adventure and fun and carefree abandonment that it’s all fun, and it’s all working out to my benefit, and I’ll figure it out along the way.  Wouldn’t then the perceived unwanted situation become a breath of fresh air, and more for me to be eager about life for?  Wouldn’t then any difficulty become another joyous ride perfectly orchestrated for my enjoyment?  Perception is everything, and taking the time to re-define something in a way that feels better to me, is all it takes to see a “problem” as an adventure rather than as something unwanted.

No comments: