Popular Posts

Friday, October 14, 2011

If I don't "feel" it, I can't do it

I can’t write it if I don’t feel it.  That just came out of my mouth a few minutes ago when Jack asked me if I felt what I just wrote in my blog the other day.  I hadn’t really thought about it before, but it’s true.  If I’m not feelin’ it, I’m not writin’ it.  And so, if I go for weeks at a time without writing, I know that I just haven’t felt the inspiration to do it.  I need to live more life to draw more conclusions and to let life inspire me to the culmination of ideas.  And I like that.  I like that the writing comes from a place that I can feel resonance with.  I like that if it’s not true for me, I can’t write it and I like that when something hasn’t completely come together for me, I can’t write.  And when I think about things in general, I find that I have a hard time getting myself to do anything if I’m not feeling it.  That’s when I’m trying to motivate or force myself into doing something that for a variety of reasons I “should” do, but I’m not really feeling the love of it.  That’s when I’m procrastinating.  I’d rather feel the inspiration calling me toward it and let it express outwardly in whatever way feels best.   It’s like cleaning the house.  Sometimes I think, “I should clean the house”, or, “this house needs a good cleaning”, but I’m making the statement from a place of noticing what I don’t like, and right in that moment, I don’t really feel like cleaning the house.  When I feel like that, I walk away, go do something fun, go for a walk, go play with Franki…just get myself distracted while still holding the intention to clean the house at some point.  I know that it doesn’t have to be done right now, I know that no one is going to “suffer” because my house requires some cleaning and I know that the only “urgency” is one that I’m imposing or perceiving.  When I leave it, I always find myself at some point later in time having the urge to clean the house; it feels inspired rather than “one of those things I should do”.  It gets done quickly, efficiently, and most of all I have fun and I feel good while I’m doing it.  So the next time you find yourself procrastinating about something, just let that be okay, go do something else that you really feel like doing, and see if you find yourself suddenly inspired to action.

No comments: