Popular Posts

Monday, March 19, 2012

I like her

I’ve got this little 3’ 2” person hanging around me who goes by the name of Franki.  When she first came along almost three years ago, I loved her but I wasn’t sure I liked her invading what used to be my life.  Is that even possible…to love someone but not be so sure you like them???  Anyway, I wanted to provide for her needs, and I wanted her to feel good and secure and all of that stuff that a mother wants for her child, but really….I was strapped to this kid day and night.  Even before I had her, I remember one night saying to my husband, “I hope I like this kid…and what if I don’t”? I know, it may seem insensitive, but I really meant it….I really was unsure at times about whether or not I’d like the kid that was about to come out of my belly and call me mother.  Before Franki, I liked kids, but being with them 24-7 would have been a really far stretch for me.  I had other “goals”, I had other “desires” and I had things to do, people to see and places to be as the saying goes.  Now, with Franki, nothing in this world that I could possess or experience would even come close to comparing what being with this child is like.  With her, it’s as if time stands still and all that matters is the present moment….being totally absorbed in our current play, or our current conversation or point of focus.  Nothing compares to holding her in my arms at night as she falls asleep; nothing compares to watching her facial expressions as she’s totally absorbed in some activity; nothing compares to hearing her say something for the first time or tell me a little story about something or other; nothing compares to sharing kisses and telling her I love her and giggling together.   Everything else is secondary.  I love coaching and I love having “things”;  I want things and I want different experiences and of course, there are always things “to do”…all of which add to my life, but nothing is as important to me as Franki and my little family.   That’s probably the thing that I’ve been most surprised about…how much this little person has affected me, my heart and soul; not only do  I love this child, I like her.  …. I really, really like her.

No comments: