Popular Posts

Friday, March 9, 2012

Where's the other shoe?

Are you one who expects the other shoe to drop?  You know…if things are going well, something’s bound to come along and go wrong, right?  Do you ever dare to expect good things?  Or, do you never mention how well things are going for fear that you’ll just “jinx” yourself? 

I could venture out on a limb and say that these beliefs are based on false premises to handle those “harsh” realities of life…… we’ve trained ourselves or learned to brace ourselves against our desires and our own happiness for fear that our desires will never come true, or that we’re actually undeserving of those things or of our own happiness.  So we put up our defenses and put up our guards and stand heroically propped to withstand our disappointments rather than welcome our heart’s desires.  There’s even the idea out there that wanting is selfish and that you shouldn’t want.  If there wasn’t “wanting”, how would new ideas, new developments, new technologies, new medicines ever evolve and come to be?  We’re born with an innate desire for joy, freedom and expansion.  Without expansion, we would cease to be.  So how is it that some come to expect that when things go too well, something is bound to come along and ruin it?  As a little girl, I came to the conclusion that if I was too happy and laughing today, I would be sad tomorrow; or there would be something for me to be sad about.  I also believed that if things were going too well, something would come along and ruin that.  So, I learned to “dread” those times when I felt really happy, fearing what was to come next.  To adapt, over time, I learned not to ever be “too happy”…there was this little “warning” voice inside my head that went something like, “if you’re too happy now, you’ll suffer later”.  I lived like that for a really long time, believing my conclusion and living by it until one day I realized that believing this “truth” would only continue the cycle in my life.  I was the one holding this truth to me and although I’d had the experiences to “back me up” and confirm my belief, it was only because I believed it to be true, that it was.  Afterall, truth is only what you come to believe and a belief is just a thought that you keep thinking; so truth, in fact, can be altered at any time you choose.  So I started exploring the idea of what it would be like to actually experience being happy without expecting something to come along and mess it up.  It was a stretch to even think about it because I’d lived my other “truth” for so long, but the idea felt better than holding on to my previous belief and I continued to explore it.  Any time I noticed that old belief come up for me, I would take the time to acknowledge that I could create a new truth for myself as simply as changing my mind and focusing on the reality that I would prefer.  And over a short period of time, I felt that shift…I felt myself believe that something far different from what I’d come to believe, could be true.  Not only could it be true, it was.  There’s nothing holding you back from the reality that you prefer other than the beliefs you have about it.  Your beliefs structure who you think you are, your view of the world, the people in it and how you experience life.  Let yourself make new decisions about what you want to believe based on how it feels to you and whether or not you wish to continue having the same experiences.  There’s nothing that can’t be changed…especially your beliefs.  When you change your beliefs, which means you change your vibration, your world….your reality….changes because the Universe has no choice but to respond to you differently. 

No comments: